[Nix-dev] Reorganization of the nixpkg file hierarchy

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Feb 8 00:10:27 CET 2009

a)
If we start discussion about this le'ts don't forget windows ntfs
filesystems.. Can it store symlinks as well? I know we're using cygwin
already ... (Just another point to think about (?) )

b)
I can imagine having symlinks on file level.. However I can't imagine
having it on function level.. So how should it look like?

all-packages.nix:

  foo = (either (import pkgs_new/http/apache) # symlink
                (import pkgs_new/app-admin/apache) # real file
                (import pkgs_new/daemons/apache) # symlinks
                (import pkgs_new/servers/apache) ) # symlink
?

I've abused the syntax here.. But I think you get the point

Michael Raskin can you tell me a bit more how you imagine that?

I don't like duplication at all. Before introducing multiple files
(unecessary redundancy) I'd vote for a better system to find the
packages and tell people to not care about where to put packages.

Marc Weber