[Nix-dev] Reorganization of the nixpkg file hierarchy

John Altobelli acocaracha at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 01:28:14 CET 2009

Andres, good point the portage system does have two categories.  I
should clarify what I mean my one directory organization.  In the
first level the portage based system would have all the possible
classifications (each with 2 categories).  Then under that would be
the project that fits into that category.  For example
www-client/firefox could have another directory under that with
plugins, but the main project firefox is only one directory away from
the top of the tree.

>From what I've seen, packages seem to be community supported with no
one maintainer who would be responsible for organization of a project.
 That said, I think the only solution for a reorganization should come
from everyone who is developing and be applied to every package.  I
feel one is necessary and I understand if people don't like my method
of solving the problem, but I hope to at least develop some
conversation about how the current system can be improved.

Also, as Andres pointed out I mention the work I've done to show how
easily the system could be implemented, not as a "I've done all this
work and I demand to see it in the mainline."  This assures that the
comments would truely be about the system and if people like it
(specifically developers since they will be the ones navigating it)
and not based on how difficult it would be to implement.