[Nix-dev] Reorganization of the nixpkg file hierarchy

Andres Loeh andres.loeh at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 6 00:58:50 CET 2009

I have no problems with gradually restructuring the current
directory structure, splitting categories that are too large, creating
some new categories (and, of course, adapting the policy accordingly).
But I think we should keep the multi-level structure. Gentoo in principle
has a two-level structure as well (because the category names consist
of two parts), and there's no good reason to stick to a limited number of
levels.

And I really think this can be done in small steps, by people who are
working on those parts of the package tree anyway and can therefore
best judge it. I haven't perceived the current situation as bad enough to
give reason to a radical reorganisation. If that means that a lot of effort
has been for nothing, I'm really sorry about it, but that alone doesn't
change my opinion.

Cheers,
  Andres