[Nix-dev] Help on the kernel build < 2.6.27 (I guess)

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 00:35:26 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to get 2.6.25.20 working, in the sense that I'd like the
kqemu module working there.
I've noticed kqemu has problems regarding the include paths for arch
things in the kernel module build.

Looking at the kernel build script, I see the include/asm-x86
directory is copied to build/include/asm. Fine.

But I've seen that the build/arch/x86/Makefile have lines like this:
# generic subarchitecture
mflags-$(CONFIG_X86_GENERICARCH):= -Iinclude/asm-x86/mach-generic

Therefore, linking to asm-x86 instead of asm.

Some other builds failed for me regarding this. For example, I'm
trying to get slmodem working (with the slamr module).
Also an external build for ipw2200 failed in the same way.

I don't understand the purpose of the last lines of the build script
of the kernel, for example with:
        # weed out unneeded stuff
        rm -rf $out/lib/modules/$version/build/include
and then that
            cp -a include/asm-$archDir $includeDir/asm

I don't know well how is the lib/modules/.../build directory is
supposed to work. Maybe someone here knows better. :)

Can you help?

Regards,
Lluís.