[Nix-dev] Blank screen right after grub menu

Marco Maggesi maggesi at math.unifi.it
Wed Dec 30 16:39:58 CET 2009

On Dec 30, 2009, at 2:20 PM, Nicolas Pierron wrote:

> Hi Marco,
>
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 13:51, Marco Maggesi <maggesi at math.unifi.it>
> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> after the last nixos update I cannot boot the new system
>> configuration.  It seems that the kernel is not loaded.  I get
>> a blank screen immediately after the grub menu and no disk or
>> network activity.
>>
>> A few more info:
>> - I use nixos inside virtualbox.
>> - I tried with both grub version 1 and 2.
>> - I tried with old kernels, like pkgs.kernelPackages_2_6_27
>> - I can still boot into the old generations.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> I had problems with kernels between 2.6.29 (?) and 2.6.31 where the
> kernel does not recognized the "vga" argument, thus it ask you
> something before starting anything.  I don't know if this could be
> related to your issue, but try to press <space> (or 2x <enter>) when
> you have a blank screen and wait enough time to see the tty background
> or your display manager.

Thank you Nicolas for your suggestions.

It tried to hit <space> and <enter> in various combinations but nothing
happened (no disk or network activity even after several minutes).  So
it
must be something similar but not completely the same.

However, following your remark about kernel versions I tried with 2.6.32
and everything works.

(Now I have another problem since kernel 2.6.32 seems to break cryopid.
But that's another story.)

Thank you,
Marco