[Nix-dev] Blank screen right after grub menu

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 14:20:26 CET 2009

Hi Marco,

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 13:51, Marco Maggesi <maggesi at math.unifi.it> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> after the last nixos update I cannot boot the new system
> configuration.  It seems that the kernel is not loaded.  I get
> a blank screen immediately after the grub menu and no disk or
> network activity.
>
> A few more info:
> - I use nixos inside virtualbox.
> - I tried with both grub version 1 and 2.
> - I tried with old kernels, like pkgs.kernelPackages_2_6_27
> - I can still boot into the old generations.
>
> Suggestions?

I had problems with kernels between 2.6.29 (?) and 2.6.31 where the
kernel does not recognized the "vga" argument, thus it ask you
something before starting anything.  I don't know if this could be
related to your issue, but try to press <space> (or 2x <enter>) when
you have a blank screen and wait enough time to see the tty background
or your display manager.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/