[Nix-dev] Modular-nixos branch merged

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Fri Aug 7 16:16:37 CEST 2009

Hi,

Eelco Dolstra wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned we can merge the modular-nixos branch into the trunk.
> It seems stable enough now, there's almost no development on the trunk anymore,
> and I keep forgetting to backport necessary fixes from the branch to the trunk ;-)

Okay, I've merged the branch.  (Actually I've just replaced the trunk with the
branch.)  To update, just do an svn up and run nixos-rebuild.

Since a few options have been renamed or removed, you may get an error message
from nixos-rebuild.  Since nixos-rebuild by default no longer shows context
information that shows the offending option name, you need to run nixos-rebuild
with the --show-trace flag.  However, that flag has been added in the modular
branch, so your current nixos-rebuild won't have it yet.  As a workaround, you
can do:

  $ nix-instantiate /etc/nixos/nixos -A system --show-trace

to see the context information.

And like I said, the most likely option that you'll need to change in
/etc/nixos/configuration.nix is services.xserver.sessionType, which should be
replace by something like

  services.xserver.desktopManager = {
    default = "kde4";
    kde4 = { enable = true; };
  };

Let me know if there any problems.  I hope to update the manual and the NixOS
webpage, since they're not exactly up to date ;-)

Many thanks to Nicolas Pierron in particular for doing most of the modular NixOS
work :-)