[Nix-dev] Merging the modular-nixos branch

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Aug 4 10:13:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

Michael Raskin wrote:

>> The only problem I can think of is that there are some incompatible changes to
>> the options.  Notably, instead of
>
> First of all, you have changed the argument set.

What do you mean by this?  configuration.nix *can* take arguments now, but it's
not required.

> For the record: there are also firmware options like ipw2200 wifi
> firmware that need configuration changes. Instead of specifying options
> like enableIntel2200firmware one needs to require a hardware module from
> modules/hardware/...

Yes.  I think it's better to bring back the enable... options for consistency
with all other modules.

> I hope both points will be mentioned in the "quick migration guide"
> posted on both mailing list an nixos.org...
>
>> BTW, I'm in favour of making KDE 4 the default desktop manager.
>
> I don't care as long as X server job is simple to parse by xlaunch. Can
> KDE4 be considered a release now? KDE 4.0 was nearly officially an alpha..

KDE 4.2 is considered stable (and actually is stable most of the time ;-)  I'm
also fine with KDE 3 as the default - anything better than a bare xterm as
desktop manager.