[Nix-dev] Merging the modular-nixos branch

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 3 19:14:05 CEST 2009

2009/8/3 Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>:
> Hi all,
>
> As far as I'm concerned we can merge the modular-nixos branch into the trunk.
> It seems stable enough now, there's almost no development on the trunk anymore,
> and I keep forgetting to backport necessary fixes from the branch to the trunk ;-)
>
> The only problem I can think of is that there are some incompatible changes to
> the options.  Notably, instead of
>
>  services.xserver.sessionType = "kde4";
>
> you have to say
>
>  services.xserver.desktopManager = {
>    default = "kde4";
>    kde4 = { enable = true; };
>  };
>
> BTW, I'm in favour of making KDE 4 the default desktop manager.
>
> --
> Eelco Dolstra | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/

Hi Eelco,
Please do! I have two machines here and I'm going to set one up as a
build environment and the other as a playground I can use for NixOs.
Both will run trunk.
So I'm trying to get the two setup right and this merge occurring
would have a desired impact and I will need to rethink my deployment
strategy (They are both slightly troublesome machines in some respects
with stuff I need to work around.)

Your message does really answer a question I was going to ask: What is
modular NixOs?
Now I know. :)

Kde 4 default good.

Thanks,