[Nix-dev] Nix fatal error

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Sat Sep 20 11:16:56 CEST 2008

After updating to the latest tree I rebuilt Nix. Thereafter all
nix-env commands resulted in a, rather ungraceful, fatal error.

Uhm.

I traced it down to the time.patch not applied, and probably, the
wrong kernel headers used for a 2.6.18 kernel. Ironically I wanted to
use the new package overrides stuff:

{
    packageOverrides = pkgs: {
       kernelHeaders = pkgs.kernelHeaders_2_6_18;
    }

    git = { svnSupport = true; };
    rLang = { withBioconductor = true; };
}

So now I had a defunct system. I moved .nix-profile out of the way,
downloaded the latest release and now I get a compile error:

store-api.cc: In constructor 'nix::GCOptions::GCOptions()':
store-api.cc:15: error: 'ULLONG_MAX' was not declared in this scope

which (I guess) has to do with the now used gcc version. Argh. The
old /nix/bin/nix-env does not work any longer because of the new
data store version:

  error: current Nix store schema is version 5, but I only support 4

To get out of this mess I need to get a new gcc. I though rolling
back with nix was supposed to be easy ;-)

Pj.