[Nix-dev] Re: Merging haskell stuff - missing features?

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue May 20 16:29:16 CEST 2008

Andres Loeh wrote:

> (3) requires to change the user interface builder in
>
>    build-support/buildenv
>
>    Also requires to adapt the Cabal builder (2) accordingly to
>    install suitable nix-support files.

Actually, the user environment builder is part of Nix itself.  The buildenv
thing in Nixpkgs is a fork of that (yes, very ugly) used to make the system path
in NixOS.

I've been thinking about making it possible to change the user environment
builder without having to upgrade Nix.  For instance, nix-env could check to see
if there is a package named "build-env" in its input expressions and use that if
available.  Or it could allow you to install one explicitly.