[Nix-dev] Re: LinuxQuestions distribution subforum for NixOS.

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu May 8 15:43:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 02:15:41AM +0200, Andres Loeh wrote:
> Marc,
>
> I'd appreciate if you could wait a little while longer with such an
> announcement,
Hi Andres, nice to hear some words from you. Hope you are still vivid
and not drawned by work :)

>j until we've finally merged the different Haskell approaches.
> I'd prefer to give Haskellers an optimal experience, especially if we're going
> to advertise with it.
Two thinks are missing:
I'd like to attrackt people such as Neil Mitchell (Windows user)..
So we need an easy way to install nix on windows. (See extra thread)
The other thing is: How does an optimal experience look like?
What is missing? Using my wrapper you get
http://rafb.net/p/TbUKXX27.html (83) packages including ghc core
packages. Using the config you can enable profiling for all (you need to
recompile everything.. but it works)
Some nice helper functions (the way you've written them) to add
libraries would be nice. There are different approaches:
a) an hackish sed approach
b) hack on cabal to add cabal refactor functions (the parser result
isn't suited for this right now, I've talked to dccouts)
c) Somehow using the work which has been done on franchise
   it tries to just do the right thing in a given environment.
nix-env -iA ghcLibraryWrapper68 takes a little bit long for all those 80
packges.. But I can live with that. It now also isntall helper tools
installed by libraries such Xtract distributed with HaXml.

> to use different interfaces for all the different communities I'm in.
> I prefer mailing lists.
I guess that's right: For searching a forum might be the right choice..
Answering and browsing is more convinient on mailinglists:
No login, somehow more serilalized by default (without klicking on links
such as "recent posts") But I've already posted my feeling about this.

> (docs) The current documentation isn't bad. Eelco has done a great job
> documenting a large part of Nix. Compare this to lots of other
> software. However, nothing wrong with improving it, and a lot of
> things are missing (nixpkgs indeed). I'd just ask not to throw away
> everything that's already there, but instead to improve it.

I totally agree.
That's the kind of agreement we already have ( I think we have ).
Eelco is up to starting the nixpkgs manual the way he likes it.
I / we can fill in stuff. I'm collecting some material flying around here
on the list.. All we need is a substitute for Eelco so that he has time
to work on this :) But finding such a person will be terribly hard

Marc Weber