[Nix-dev] Re: Handle runtime dependencies

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Mar 18 10:19:15 CET 2008

Hi,

"Nicolas Pierron"
<nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com> writes:

> In this case Tk is not a dependency of "git" and when a new version of
> Tk is available git is not recompiled, only the wrapper scripts.

First, Tcl/Tk *is* a dependency of Git.  That Git's `configure' doesn't
look for it at build time doesn't mean that it doesn't depend on it,
just that it's "impure".

Second, I don't think we should provide special treatment for some
dependencies: all dependencies should live equal.  ;-)  In particular, I
don't think some things should be "relocatable" while most others are not.

Third, who cares if a Git rebuild is triggered when Tcl/Tk changes?
After all, the build farm is supposed to do the job on our behalf, so
it's only really boring while developing the package.

Thanks,
Ludovic.