[Nix-dev] trying NixOS, boot error

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Wed Jul 9 00:35:59 CEST 2008

Marc Weber wrote:
> Anyaway. There is not much missing, you already have stage-2 which is
> started after the initial ram disk (initrd)
> What is happening?
> The init process is the very first process of the system. If it halts
> the system halts as well (with the message you've seen)
> The last line 127
> exec /var/run/current-system/upstart/sbin/init
> should hand over control to upstart. But it's not there. Why?
> Are you sure installation has finished without errors?

The last thing nixos-install said was about Warning: don't know how to
install GRUB (because I deliberately didn't include a boot.grubDevice in
my configuration).  Also some warning that .../system or  .../system-1
something didn't count as a GC root.  So I had to assume it completed
successfully, since it didn't give me any error messages?

> This result might happen as well if you start the system with a readonly
> disk. I've had this problem today.

evidently not a problem here, it's rw according to `mount` in the debug2
environment, and I can also successfully write a file in it.

/var/run exists with some things in it, but there is no directory
"current-system" in it, at this debug2 point in the boot process.

hmm.

-Isaac