[Nix-dev] Cleaning GNU Make

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Jul 1 21:24:46 CEST 2008

Hi,

The package for GNU Make contains a patch that makes it produce
additional output suitable for `nix-log2xml'.

This output is a nuisance to me: it's verbose, often redundant with that
produced by makefiles, it uses escape codes that make it harder to read
(e.g., when you send it to a file), it does not honor `-s', etc.

The last problem I had was a test suite failure with Automake caused by
the patch:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.bugs/4234

I would prefer it if the user-installed Make didn't have that feature.
Can we make this patch optional and, for instance, use it only in stdenv
by default?  (This would still be a problem for Automake's test suite,
though.)

Thanks,
Ludovic.