[Nix-dev] Re: GNU adns build failure

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Fri Dec 19 16:41:12 CET 2008

Hi,

Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi Ludovic,
>
>  > http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/nixos/adns-1.4.log.gz
>
> my guess is that chroot environment lacks /etc/resolv.conf

Almost - I debugged a bit and it turns out to be /etc/protocols.  With it the
build succeeds in a chroot.  Arguably we should have it in the chroot, but on
the other hand not having /etc/{resolv.conf,nsswitch.conf,services,protocols}
helps to ensure that builders don't (accidentally) connect to the network.  At
first I thought adns' "make check" tries to connect to the network (which would
be very impure).  But on closer inspection that does not appear to be the case.