[Nix-dev] Re: Patch for autoconf-2.62: tar limited path length.

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Aug 14 20:09:06 CEST 2008

Hi,

"Nicolas Pierron"
<nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com> writes:

> As this is a problem encounter by at least two projects on the
> buildfarm.  I have made this small patch which remove the option "o"
> given to the tar command.
> I do not have committed this patch in Nixpkgs since this will implies
> a lot of rebuild.

My understanding of the GNU tar manual is that `o' corresponds to `-o',
which is specified as follows:

  `--no-same-owner'
  `-o'
       When extracting an archive, do not attempt to preserve the owner
       specified in the `tar' archive.  This the default behavior for
       ordinary users.

So it doesn't relate to "limited path length", does it?

What's the exact motivation for removing this option?  Either it's an
Autoconf bug, in which case it should be reported upstream, or you are
expecting Autoconf to behave in a way it's not supposed to, in which
case the patch may be too specific and may not belong in Nixpkgs.

Thanks,
Ludovic.