[Nix-dev] Re: Problem installing vim-7.2-huge-X11-python-tcl.drv

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Aug 12 20:04:55 CEST 2008

Pjotr Prins writes:

 >> All software that is supposed to run on a Linux x.y.z kernel must be
 >> configured with x.y kernel headers. The last digit, however, is supposed
 >> to be insignificant.
 >
 > Can you point me to that policy.

I'm sorry, but I don't have a proper citation handy. I'd have to search
for it, too.

 > I think we ought not assume, nor ask for, the Kernel and supporting
 > libraries to be backward compatible. That is wishful thinking.

Well, I guess you are right. If you want an ultra-safe-no-risk-at-all
installation, then rebuilding every single package after every kernel
update is the way to go. It's just that I, personally, don't want that.
In my humble opinion, the kernel/libc/coreutils authors do a fine job at
maintaining backwards compatibility across minor revisions, so I'm
willing to take that risk. Others might not. It's nice that Nix offers
us the means to build both kinds of installation.

 >> All in all, I feel that we have other, better solutions available.
 >
 > Which? I am in the dark here.

For starters, we can apply the patch that you posted to this list. All
that seems to be missing is a volunteer to do it.

Take care,
Peter