[Nix-dev] Re: My last commit

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Aug 5 14:04:35 CEST 2008

Hi Marc,

 > [My last commit] adds gitGit with a glob patch so that you can view
 > all commits in git modifying */udev/default.nix or such..

this is not a major problem, but, personally, I'm not fond of including this
kind of patch in the distribution. When a user installs Git through Nix, she
expects Git to behave more or less like Git would behave when it's been
installed manually. Your patch violates that expectation. IMHO, it's fine to
introduce patches to make the software interact better with Nix, but patches
that are unrelated to Nix should not be introduced via Nix. I think you should
submit your patch to the Git developers instead. Least of all, the application
of that patch should be optional and Git should have a modified version string
if it has been applied.

Take care,
Peter