[Nix-dev] fsck try to find /etc/fstab

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Sun Nov 11 21:12:16 CET 2007

>> Each time I am starting my laptop I have got a huge bip because fsck
>> is worried about my laptop safety. This is due to the missing of the
>> file /etc/fstab
>>
>> I have made a small patch which use the generated file /etc/mtab
>> instead of /etc/fstab. Therefore a bip could be made at the first boot
>> because the file is generated at the Stage 2 and the fsck is done at
>> the Stage 1. So I can start my laptop with no sound which useful for
>> students like me ;p
>
> Thanks, I didn't know about FSTAB_FILE.  Committed in r9571. :-)

(sorry if this is an ignorant comment- )

perhaps /proc/mounts would make as much or more sense?  On Linux,
/etc/mtab is guaranteed to get confused if you do anything weird with
mounting and chrooting, (and I don't like having a mutable file on my
persistent root filesystem, and putting it in tmpfs is tricky) so on my
GoboLinux system I have it as a symlink to /proc/mounts.  If /proc is
mounted in time, then this "Therefore a bip could be made at the first
boot because the file is generated at the Stage 2" would be avoided.

Isaac