[Nix-dev] How to use wxHaskell? (example for building ghc packages)

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Apr 29 00:05:27 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 09:53:31AM -0400, Cat Dancer wrote:
> This may be more of a ghc question than a Nix question, but here goes...
>
> I'm interested in writing a Nix expression for a Haskell library, so I
> took a look at the wxHaskell package to see how a ghc library might be
> referenced in a Nix environment.  (I assume we can't use the ghc
> package manager, since it isn't functional).
>
> I installed wxHaskell (nix-env -i wxHaskell) and I see it in
> ~/.nix-profile/lib/imports

Hi Cat.

Nix is curently going this way:
Installing a haskell library using cabal:
nix invokes
./setup configure .. build
and then -gen-script to create a small .sh file which registers the
library at the ghc package manager.

When building a library/ application using that lib a ghc-pkg config
file (containing the list of packages) is created temporarely using the
.sh files.
(I want to rewrite this as soon as I have time to using the environment
variable to tell ghc which package database files to use). So in the
near future each lib will habe it's own package manager file containing
only itself. Then they will be joined. Thus adding haskell libraries as
dependencies is done as usual.

But I don't know about wxHaskell. My gentoo system can't compile it and
I haven't tried using nix (but I definitely will soon).

I'm installing it right now and I'll try posting an example as soon as I have
one.

Perhaps someone else can give you more info.

Marc