[Nix-dev] Installing Nix from an existing Linux installation

Sean E. Russell nix at ser1.net
Sat Apr 14 23:20:23 CEST 2007

On Saturday 14 April 2007 16:03, Armijn Hemel wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 10:10:49AM -0400, Sean E. Russell wrote:
> > 4) Why does Nix use /dev/sd* for ATA harddrives?  This is troublesome.
>
> This is something which was introduced by the Linux kernel, not by Nix.
> In fact, I saw the exact same thing when I installed Fedora 7 test x about
> a week ago on a test machine. This will affect *every* distribution in
> time. Also see:

Wow.  That's really good to know.  Actually, I suspect it was something like
this, because I noticed SATA drives showing up as sd* on another machine --
but I didn't know that it was going to affect PATA drives as well.

Thanks for the pointer.

--
### SER
### Deutsch|Esperanto|Francaise|Linux|XML|Java|Ruby|Aikido|Iaido