[Nix-dev] Installing Nix from an existing Linux installation

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Sat Apr 14 22:03:28 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 10:10:49AM -0400, Sean E. Russell wrote:

> 4) Why does Nix use /dev/sd* for ATA harddrives?  This is troublesome.

This is something which was introduced by the Linux kernel, not by Nix.
In fact, I saw the exact same thing when I installed Fedora 7 test x about
a week ago on a test machine. This will affect *every* distribution in time.
Also see:

http://lwn.net/Articles/198344/

Quote:

"The issue that gets everybody's attention, however, is that, as with all
drives handled through libata, PATA drives show up as if they were SCSI disks,
and are named /dev/sd*. Anybody who just switches to the new drivers without
updating /etc/fstab (or using the mount-by-label feature) is likely to have a
rough bootstrap experience."

armijn