[Nix-dev] collision detection

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Mon Nov 8 15:32:35 CET 2004

hi,

there are conflicts between various packages, in particular net-tools
and coreutils. Both provide the "hostname" program, which Nix doesn't
like when it makes the symlinks in .nix-profile. This is a bit of a
weak point in Nix (although prevention of this name collision is
probably undoable).

With regard to "hostname", I just checked how they do it in Fedora and they
simply patch Makefile.am to remove hostname from the coreutils. I'm not sure
whether or not this is the right approach (although no Linux or BSD system
I've seen uses the hostname program from coreutils).

armijn