[Nix-dev] depmod.old

Eelco Dolstra eelco at cs.uu.nl
Wed Dec 15 20:55:48 CET 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:13:15 +0100
Armijn Hemel <armijn at uulug.nl> wrote:

> testing on various Linux distributions really seems to pay off and it
> looks like "Linux" is not always the same as "Linux". Long live Nix :)
>
> I'm hitting the problem that in Fedora they completely removed support
> for old-style kernels:
>
> if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map -b
> /nix/store/d099351e6f509d2b80789f1d47c05b4a-uml-2.4.24-2 -r 2.4.24-2um;
> fi
> Version requires old depmod, but couldn't run /sbin/depmod.old: No such
> file or directory
> make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 2

So actually it seems that the UML build has a hard-coded dependency on
/sbin/depmod (which I suppose building in the Nix OS would have revealed
also).  You should add the 2.4 version of module-tools or whatever
contains depmod to nixpkgs and force the UML build to use that.

Or just skip the building/installation of the modules in the UML build.  I
don't think we use any of them.

--
Eelco Dolstra | http://www.cs.uu.nl/~eelco