[Nix-dev] depmod.old

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Wed Dec 15 19:13:15 CET 2004

hi,

testing on various Linux distributions really seems to pay off and it looks
like "Linux" is not always the same as "Linux". Long live Nix :)

I'm hitting the problem that in Fedora they completely removed support
for old-style kernels:

if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map -b
/nix/store/d099351e6f509d2b80789f1d47c05b4a-uml-2.4.24-2 -r 2.4.24-2um;
fi
Version requires old depmod, but couldn't run /sbin/depmod.old: No such
file or directory
make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 2

So my choices are to either "upgrade" the whole thing to a 2.6 kernel
(with some more changes to things like glibc), or to use some older
software that has depmod.old. I'm not too happy with either of them to
be honest (but at least it keeps me busy).

What does the latest SuSE use? Is there a depmod.old installed? If not,
then the choice is a lot easier for me (going for 2.6). It won't affect
the main nixpkgs branch of course...

armijn