[Nix-dev] Typing nix − funding campaign

Jeaye contact at jeaye.com
Thu Mar 30 09:23:47 CEST 2017

Congrats on the funding!

As someone who's been looking for more static validation of my Nix expressions, this is an exciting change. I must admit, however, that I wonder if Nix is just not the "right" tool for the job. I didn't see anyone else in this thread mention it, to my surprise, so I'll bite: if you have some funding and some time, why not integrate an existing language, with a working, mature, static type system instead?

This is where I think Guix made a better choice: many people already know Scheme and are comfortable with it. If Haskell, for example, has the kind of type system we're seeking, what benefit do we get for sticking with Nix? Only the sunken cost?

If it isn't clear, I think that purely functional package management is a wonderful thing, but I don't think a new (Nix) language is the best way to use it.