[Nix-dev] Nix for internal projects and monorepos

William Casarin jb55 at jb55.com
Sat Mar 25 03:47:03 CET 2017

Daniel Peebles <pumpkingod at gmail.com> writes:

> The alternative would be to adopt a more nixpkgs-like approach, and
> maintain a separate tree of packages that point into fixed-output
> references into the actual codebase. That unfortunately means moving the
> build spec farther away from the code it builds, and although it might be
> necessary in the case of nixpkgs (because we don't control all FOSS
> projects), it seems like we can do better.

We do something like this.

https://github.com/monstercat/monstercatpkgs

I guess I could have chose to keep the expressions in the git repos, but
decided to stick with nixpkgs conventions.

We host all of our internal code on a vpn (zerotier). We found
fetchgitPrivate was too much of a hassle.

Right now our production machines point to a nix-serve cache (also on
vpn) where the code is built. Mostly because I haven't got around to
setting up Hydra yet.

Cheers,

--
William Casarin