[Nix-dev] how to 'just run binaries' in nixos

Nikolay Amiantov ab at fmap.me
Tue Mar 21 23:49:52 CET 2017

You may try steam-run. Despite the name it's actually not necessarily
related to Steam, it just runs binaries in an environment very
resembling Steam Runtime (which is a good de-facto standard).

Add this to your environment.systemPackages:

  (steam.override {
    nativeOnly = true;
    newStdcpp = true;
  }).run

Those options make sure that you use NixOS libraries instead of binary
ones from Steam and that new libstdc++ is used. Then:

$ steam-run ./my-binary

On 03/22/2017 01:41 AM, Azul wrote:
> is there a simple way to just run binaries in nixos ?
>
> stuff like go binaries or other bits and bobs ?
>

> ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
> linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.26
>
> ./my-binary
> bash: ./my-binary: No such file or directory

Nikolay.