[Nix-dev] The Church of Suckless NixOS is looking for followers

Jan Malakhovski oxij at oxij.org
Sun Mar 19 12:00:00 CET 2017

Tuomas Tynkkynen <tuomas.tynkkynen at iki.fi> writes:

> How is moving away from glibc going to help with (say) FreeBSD
> support? Based on (admittedly quite short) googling, I couldn't

It wouldn't help much. But moving away from systemd would.

> find any libc that supports both Linux and FreeBSD except...
> *drumroll*... glibc that is being used by Debian/kFreeBSD!

FreeBSD has their own libc too, which is used by every other FreeBSD
distro except Debian.

Anyway, currently we don't aim to support *BSD, we want smaller Linux
systems for routers, RPis and BBones.

> And if you're going to be using different libcs on different
> kernels, well... nixpkgs already does that today, by supporting
> Darwin.

But does nixpkgs support different libcs on the same kernel?

Cheers