[Nix-dev] The Church of Suckless NixOS is looking for followers

William Casarin bill at casarin.me
Sun Mar 19 11:07:51 CET 2017

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Jan Malakhovski <oxij at oxij.org> wrote:
> Adrien Devresse <Adev at adev.name> writes:
>>
>> Just for the troll : Do you also plan to redo also Nix entirely in C,
>> like everything else, just for fun ?
>
> [..]
>
> Meanwhile, 22Mb glibc and 19Mb systemd (disregarding some major crazy
> design decisions there even, did you try to read the source?) are a huge
> drag for a system that, when build using other tools, normally fits into
> 16Mb of flash.

I tried to run NixOS on my eeepc, it feels a lot more sluggish than when
I used to run arch on it. I would love to see how this plays out, if
only to have
a smaller, lightweight version of NixOS to run on my pi's and eeepc.

The extra security stuff sounds cool but is a bit of a specific use
case. I would
probably just run tails/qubes if I cared about that. Otherwise looks cool!

Cheers,

--
William Casarin
PGP 0x6D3E2004415AF4A3