[Nix-dev] how to find packages by file?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 09:09:47 CET 2017

On 03/14/2017 09:24 PM, Roni Choudhury wrote:
> *how do I know whether a package has .lib or .dev attributes?*

We have functions lib.getLib and lib.getDev that determine this
correctly in almost all cases and return the output.

> However, if I include "pango" in my buildInputs, I wind up with the
> package at path /nix/store/*-pango-1.40.3-bin, which
> does not contain the library files I need, nor even a lib directory.

Our buildInputs has special handling for outputs, and just by adding
`pango` you should get visible everything you need, i.e. headers,
libraries, binaries.

You can find multiple-output documentation in the manual
http://nixos.org/nixpkgs/manual/#chap-multiple-output

--Vladimir