[Nix-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017

David Izquierdo thecofee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 17:53:52 CET 2017

Oh dear, I had been thinking about 1 and 2 lately...

On systemd, I don't think that it's worth it to even try to port
dependent software. Nix is smart enough to warn about/fix dependencies.
And "porting" the actual unit files sounds easy IMO, systemd has good
documentation on unit files that can be easily mapped to alternative
complementary software (one example I've used recently: `timeout`
instead of "RuntimeMaxSec"). I don't think indirection would be
necessary, since the declarative style of units is already really really
nice to us. Simply moving the relevant options out of the systemd
namespace and into a more general place (services.service.$NAME?).

BSDs... I thought they had official support... They don't, according to
the Nix manual's Supported Platforms chapter. I guess once it exists AND
systemd becomes optional, it's solved itself. And I don't see why Nix
wouldn't just-work on a BSD when it's supported on Linux and MacOS.

Now, literally all of the above has been pulled out of my backend, and
from a few months worth of NixOS usage and learning. I hope someone with
actual knowledge can fix this, and better outline how deep into NixOS's
internals one would have to plumb to implement this.