[Nix-dev] how to find packages by file?

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 17:05:12 CET 2017

On 15 March 2017 at 16:39, Domen Kožar <domen at dev.si> wrote:
> It's a few GB per channel commit. At least stored in SQL as-is.
>
> With compression and denormalization that could be improved though :)

Ah, I guess that's why you have to run "apt-file update" on Debian to
get it. It's not there by default.

I checked one of the files that it downloads (Contents-amd64.gz).
That's a 32 MiB file that when extracted becomes a 480 MiB plain text
file. So it's comparable to your figure -- apt-file downloads a few of
these files (one per apt repository).

However, apt-file never extracts the files, it simply runs zfgrep on
the ~32 MiB sized .gz files. So it's not that bad.

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman