[Nix-dev] how to find packages by file?

Christian Kauhaus kc at flyingcircus.io
Wed Mar 15 10:17:19 CET 2017

On 14.03.2017 21:24, Roni Choudhury wrote:
> And perhaps a related final question: *how do I know where a given directory
> in /nix/store "came from" - that is, how can I link something in the store to
> something in nixpkgs?*

I have no immediate answer for the first two questions, but to the third one:
use nix-store --query --deriver /nix/store/path/to/file . This will print the
source derivation. The derivation file contains information where it was built
from, but in most cases it is sufficient to simply look at the file name.

HTH

Christian

--
Dipl-Inf. Christian Kauhaus <>< · kc at flyingcircus.io · +49 345 219401-0