[Nix-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017

Anderson Torres torres.anderson.85 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 18:23:26 CET 2017

> On 17-01-04 09:42pm, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
>> On 01/04/2017 08:51 PM, Peter Simons wrote:
>> > Another very important topic that needs to be addressed in Nix / Hydra
>> > is the question of how to deal with code that wants to import build
>> > products into the ongoing evaluation. [...]
>>
>> That feels rather vague topic ATM.  My experience is that this kind of
>> "figure it out how to..." tasks isn't very suitable for similar "project
>> proposals" like for GSoC.  Still, if we could converge on some more
>> concrete plan beforehand, maybe the actual implementation would make a
>> good topic...

I would suggest three big fat proposals:

1 - The most flamewar-igniting one: getting rid of systemd dependency!
It would be very nice if the init system was selectable, with a sane
default (as openrc).
It would be hard as hell to port certain software as Gnome stack, but
I think it can be solved.

2 - Another for the even more courageous would be run a Nixos+kNetBSD
(or kFreeBSD), as in Debian. It would be the definitive test for
portability and independence of Nix model.

3 - Another set of defaults for the stdenv, as musl+clang.