[Nix-dev] Vulnerability Roundup #missing

Graham Christensen graham at grahamc.com
Wed Mar 8 14:36:54 CET 2017

Just a heads up that the LWN Vulnerability Database we use hasn't been
updated in over a week, which means our tooling thinks there have been
zero problems. This is obviously not true.

LWN's database provides a hugely valuable resource for us. They collect
mail from many distro's mailing lists and aggregate similar reports in
to a single entry. Each of those then will have multiple solutions and
patches that we can use to fix the issue in our distribution. This
aggregation has been a huge "force multiplier," allowing us to keep up
to date and patch almost as fast as the bigger distributions, even in
the earliest weeks of roundups where only a few people were regularly
contributing.

If you appreciate the work we've done, I recommend subscribing to LWN as
a thank-you.

Remediation:

 - I've messaged LWN to ask if the database will be updated again.
 - I've been researching alternative ways to get the job done:
   - Other DBs with similar goals of aggregating issues and reports.
   - Reviewing all the mail from oss-security
   - Subscribing to and reviewing all the mail from all the distro's
     that LWN watched
 - other options?

This is a tough spot to be in, and I am hoping LWN will continue. Either
way, we should likely expand our tooling to support other sources as
well.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Best,
Graham Christensen