[Nix-dev] nixos-rebuild switch error

Mark Gardner mkg at vt.edu
Tue Mar 7 14:22:49 CET 2017

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 5:09 AM, Linus Heckemann <acc at sphalerite.org> wrote:

> This failure is caused by a flaky internet connection, so it makes sense
> that trying again would fix it. Nothing to be concerned about, besides
> perhaps the poor UX, making it very unclear what the actual cause of the
> failure is :)

​Or when Cloudfront (Amazon), which hosts cache.nixos.org, has problems as
it did a week ago in my region. DNS was up and down throughout the day (as
was the storage itself). The problem went away when Amazon fixed the
problem.

The frustration of last week brings to mind a quotation from Leslie
Lamport: "A distributed system is one in which the failure of a computer
you didn't even know existed can render your own computer unusable." (In my
case not quite unusable but it was a pain as I was attempting to install on
a new machine.)

Mark
--
Mark Gardner