[Nix-dev] 'nixos-stable' channel?

Sander nixos at humilis.net
Tue Mar 7 08:20:53 CET 2017

zimbatm wrote (ao):
> At the moment we don't provide a strong guarantee that release
> upgrades will be 100% backward-compatible. Having a "stable" channel
> that jumps between releases would be misleading I think.

With Debian one can choose a specific [1]release (Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch,
Sid (roling release)), or old-stable (Wheezy), stable (Jessie, will
become old-stable)), testing (Stretch, will become stable), experimental
and unstable (Sid, always unstable). old-stable, stable, etc, are just
symlinks.

Linux all about choice. And Debian does not guarantee anything either.
You get to keep the pieces though.

I would like to pin my server to 'nixos-stable', just as my laptop is on
'nixos-unstable' (mostly because of wayland).

	Sander

1. ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/