[Nix-dev] In multi-user Nix, let the daemon handle creation of GC roots

sbaugh at catern.com sbaugh at catern.com
Sun Jun 18 14:31:02 CEST 2017

Wout Mertens <wout.mertens at gmail.com> writes:
> Another issue is that right now, nix does not /require/ the daemon to
> work, and this proposal would change that.

To clarify I'm just talking about this for multi-user setups, where the
daemon is already required.

> However, you can totally share /nix between multiple hosts, you just
> have to pinkie-promise not to write to it from multiple hosts at the
> same time.

Yes, this way (if the daemon also had the ability to talk to the
database) you don't need that pinkie promise.

But this is just one benefit of letting the daemon handle GC roots, I'm
interested also in the other benefits.