[Nix-dev] weird garbage output inside nix-shell

Roni Choudhury aichoudh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 19:38:07 CEST 2017

Hi all-

Linus, Sam, and Sergiu - thank you for the suggestions. I did poke around
in the output from `env` and discovered IN_NIX_SHELL, and arranged my
.zshrc to show `${name}` when `$IN_NIX_SHELL` is true. Fantastic!

I'm not sure the other problem has to do with character encodings (though I
don't know too much about how that works). I did notice that `ldd $(which
vim)` shows me different results when I am inside my nix-shell vs. when I'm
not. I kind of thought I shouldn't even be able to launch vim from inside
my shell if it's not listed as a buildDep.

If I send my shell.nix, would someone else mind trying to use it to see if
you can reproduce my strange results?

Thanks!

roni