[Nix-dev] libpurple and PURPLE_PLUGIN_PATH

Bryan Richter b at chreekat.net
Fri Jun 9 02:17:30 CEST 2017

I see that nixpkgs patches libpurple (pidgin) to look for plugins
in paths specified by PURPLE_PLUGIN_PATH. Do I have to set that var
manually?

I would hope that installing a plugin into my environment would update
the variable automatically.

Are there other cases in the nixpkgs universe that match this pattern?
Namely, the use of a library is affected by the availability of
plugins, which in turn have build dependencies on the library.
Specifying the location of plugins via an environment variable is
certainly one solution, but it seems tedious and fragile if there is
no way to automatically update the variable on install/upgrade/removal
of individual plugins. Perhaps a system of symlinks across store
locations would be easy to implement?

(Asking as a newcomer to Nix.)

Thanks!