[Nix-dev] Hydra and security updates

Leo Gaspard leo at gaspard.io
Sat Jun 3 00:54:26 CEST 2017

On 06/02/2017 12:05 PM, Domen Kožar wrote:
>> I see two ways of doing this: either having hydra somehow handle with
>> special care security updates (hard to do)
>
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/10851

This looks great!

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be close to merging (esp. as it has
merge conflicts), so I guess that's the best solution that isn't coming
up right now? So having master and stable always build may be a current
path forward, not yet as good as this PR but a good stop-gap.

>> , or having master and stable branches *always* build.
>
> For that we'd need to have infrastructure that builds PRs and reports
> status on github.
>
> I think that's the right solution, but it does involve work and Hydra
> improvements :)

Hmm, "[Nix-dev] Hydra Building PRs" (2017-01-28) made me think hydra was
actually ready and the only needed thing was setting it up on
hydra.nixos.org and use a github bot?

I mean, if it's waiting for only a github bot then I guess it'll be easy
to do (and the fact at least two persons said they were doing it 3
months ago makes me think it's actually already ready) but the part
about setting it up at hydra.nixos.org can be made only by a select few
people, so I guess there is not much most of us can do about it?