[Nix-dev] git in nix is broken...

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 19:25:26 CEST 2017

... because it appears to be missing dependencies like sed for
commands such as git-filter-branch which are implemented as bash
scripts.

I've submitted a PR which tries to fix that
(https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/27221) by

a) adding missing dependencies like awk, sed and coreutils
b) rewriting the affected scripts to use absolute references to grep,
awk, sed etc. (e.g. grep ->
/nix/store/r6s8rcd28wsk4gwviyc93343bq5zwlqq-gnugrep-3.0/bin/grep)

Having a less than fully working version of something as core as git
seems a bit undesirable.

I'm new to contributing to nixpkgs, so could someone more experienced
let me know if what I've done looks roughly plausible?

Thanks!

alexander