[Nix-dev] Banning people from the mailinglist?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Apr 4 20:46:59 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 14:22:48 +0200 Profpatsch <mail at profpatsch.de> wrote:
> On 17-04-04 10:05am, Matthias Beyer wrote:
> > Can we just ban the (non-constructive) "fuck systemd" people? I
> > mean... nobody benefits from this kind of behaviour and it creates
> > frustration all over the place. Nobody gets happy with these kind
> > of messages.
> >
> > Is there a technical possibility for this?
>
> Normally these people vent once and then stay quiet;
> if someone starts flamewars on a regular basis
> we should warn them first, and on repetition ban.
>
> So far that hasn’t happened yet, right?

Maybe the OPs question was not about the same person regularly
starting flamewars but about flamewars about the same topic started
regularly by different people each time?

I don't think a rule of 'flame systemd once and you are out' would do
the community any good, even if the threshold is higher. After all a
critical reminder can make you rethink if you are still on the right
path. Altough I personally tend to shrug off these "I hate
systemd"-topics and notice that another half a year has passed already.

> And maybe these folks will see the light someday. :)

Or "lightd" will be forced upon them? - sorry, couldn't resist.

- Arnold