[Nix-dev] QoS/AQM/shaping on NixOS

Matthew Robbetts wingfeathera at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:19:43 CEST 2016

Hi list,

I am interested in configuring traffic shaping and AQM on my nixos machine; I can’t see any modules including anything like it anywhere (although I’m happy to be corrected, I’m just grepping through the packages repo for mentions of things like ‘qdisc’).

1) Have I missed something that already exists?
2) If not, does anyone have any pointers about the best place in the networking system to put it? I see there are modules in …/nixos/modules/services/networking/ such as firewall.nix and nat.nix. Would you add a new module to this directory or shoehorn it into an existing one (or even into modules/config/networking.nix directly)?

I personally only need basic (home-oriented) routing configurations such as the one described at:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping>

but would certainly be interested in making things as generic as possible. Being able to represent a qdisc tree and its configuration as a nix value somehow and have it Just Work would be excellent.

Hints welcome!

Thanks,
Matt