[Nix-dev] cache.nixos.org. mirror

Nikolay Amiantov ab at fmap.me
Mon Oct 24 11:02:13 CEST 2016

I went somewhat other way, because I didn't want to put a financial and
maintenance strain on Graham (but I appreciate the offer!) and I'm not
sure how to find out an S3 bucket name.

Instead, I ran this Ruby script to search for unblocked IP addresses:

> require 'resolv'
> require 'socket'
> require 'timeout'
>
> resolv = Resolv::DNS.new
> resolv.each_address "cache.nixos.org" do |address|
>   a_str = address.to_s
>   STDERR.puts "Trying #{a_str}"
>   begin
>     Timeout::timeout 5 do
>       TCPSocket.new a_str, 443
>     end
>     puts a_str
>   rescue Timeout::Error
>     STDERR.puts "Timeout exceeded"
>   end
> end

This resulted in a short list:

54.192.229.192
54.192.229.36

of seemingly good hosts, which can be used by adding them to /etc/hosts.

I suppose that VPN is a better long-term solution, though ~_^.

--
Nikolay.