[Nix-dev] DBus and XMonad

Rodney Lorrimar dev at rodney.id.au
Thu Oct 20 10:05:47 CEST 2016

On Wed, Oct 19 2016, Rodney Lorrimar wrote:
> My next problem is that gnome-terminal will no longer start:
>
>     dbus-daemon[6158]: Activating via systemd: service name='org.gnome.Terminal' unit='gnome-terminal-server.service'
>     dbus-daemon[6158]: Activation via systemd failed for unit 'gnome-terminal-server.service': Unit gnome-terminal-server.service not found.
>
> I have found that this is due to
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/19110
>
> My workaround for that problem is simply:
>
>     ln -vsf /run/current-system/sw/lib/systemd/user/* ~/.config/systemd/user

Hello List,

The submitter of #19110 notes that another way to get the user service
to start would be to configure this:

    systemd.packages = [ pkgs.gnome3.gnome_terminal ];

However I'm not sure whether it's a good solution. This would mean every
program which provides a dbus-activated systemd user service needs to
added to NixOS systemd.packages.

Cheers,

Rodney