[Nix-dev] how to successfully install owncloud/nextcloud

Stefan Huchler stefan.huchler at mail.de
Fri Oct 14 17:14:39 CEST 2016

I am using 16.09 but have serious problems getting owncloud running,
first I find it irritating that only postgresql is supportet but ok I
can accept that at least for now.

But I cant get it running, sadly there is no wiki entrence for that
either and no example code in any nix file. But the service extra
package modules are there so I guess that it worked for someone at one
point?

  services.postgresql = {
    enable = true;
    authentication = "local all all trust";
  };

  services.httpd = {
    enable = true;
    adminAddr = "admin at example.org";
    extraSubservices = [ {
      serviceType = "owncloud";
      package = pkgs.owncloud91;
      dbPassword = "test";
      adminPassword = "test";
     }
    ];
  };

I maybe not used the package version first so it installed a older
version first? But I dont think thats the problem I deletet
/var/db/postgres and startet then postgres again to maybe reset in the
hope it would initialize successful but it did not, it seems like it
does not create automaticly the owncloud db, but even if I try to
manualy create that db it fails.

here the fail with fresh clean postgresql:

Oct 14 17:02:10 mars httpd-pre-start[28048]: chown: cannot access
'/var/lib/owncloud/owncloud.log': No such file or directory Oct 14
17:02:10 mars sudo[28296]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=postgres ;
COMMAND=/nix/store/q16vp0nys9cbbai7mks7zw7wmyzfbwx4-postgresql-9.5.4/bin/psql
-h /tmp -U postgres -d owncloud -Atw -c INSERT INTO groups (gid)
values('admin'); INSERT INTO users (uid,password)
values('owncloud','a94a8fe5ccb19ba61c4c0873d391e987982fbbd3'); INSERT
INTO group_user (gid,uid) values('admin','owncloud');