[Nix-dev] pass a text file on the internet through <>

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 17:11:41 CEST 2016

Greetings,

In my nix code I make use of a <>, when executing the nix-build
command I use `-I
fractalide_user=https://keybase.io/iElectric/key.asc`

(I chose iElectric cause it was convenient)

[stewart at rivergod:~/dev/fractalide/fractalide]$ nix-build  --argstr
debug true --argstr cache $(./support/buildCache.sh)  --argstr subnet
shells_lain_commands -I
fractalide_user=https://keybase.io/iElectric/key.asc
downloading ‘https://keybase.io/iElectric/key.asc’... [2/2 KiB, 1.5 KiB/s]
unpacking ‘https://keybase.io/iElectric/key.asc’...
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
error: program ‘tar’ failed with exit code 2
(use ‘--show-trace’ to show detailed location information)

Surely one should be able to pass text files over this medium?

Kind regards
Stewart